Saturday, June 17, 2006

Lessons

The Education of a Poet

Her pencil poised, she's ready to create,
Then listens to her mind's perverse debate
On whether what she does serves any use;
And that is all she needs for an excuse
To spend all afternoon and half the night
Enjoying poems other people write.

--Leslie Monsour

This poem was sent in response to one of my poems. I have a concern that I will spend the rest of my life reading the story of others rather than writing my own. This past week I've had several opportunities to stand up for myself, which I don't do on a regular basis. I expressed my point of view and feelings at a board meeting. I held my ground in a theological discussion (yet another blasting of my sexual orientation using the Word of God), and I refused to accept mistreatment of me no matter what the 'excuse' or rationale. I've spend so much of my life concerned with what other people think of me. I can't continue to do that and do my art, follow my path, be the unique being I am. I must trust that what I am called to do does serve others, powerfully sometimes, mildly other times. I am getting closer to drastically shifting my life so I can live my life closer to my call.

1 comment: