Tuesday, December 05, 2006

If I were to stand on the moon tonight

what light would I see from Earth?
Would it be strings of colored Christmas lights?
Or streams of headlights racing to the mall
for some last minute, hectic consumerism.
Would it be the golden glow of childlike wonder?
Or sparks of anger from the drunken lady across the street,
who resents the doctor who cut off her cancerous breast.
Would it be the Festival of Lights at the Grotto,
or the Star of David at the synagogue,
a menorah, Kwanzaa lights, Advent candles,
or would it be the blue light of a television
that keeps the widow company
during her first Christmas without
the love of her life?
Would it be the green light of forgiveness?
Or the blazing red, white, and blue artillery
across an ocean of loathing.

Could the light from Earth
simply be three candles lit:
one for gratitude
one for longing
and one for clarity
in this mystery?

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous4:38 PM

    I also would love to stand on the moon! (after all my pen name means the goddess of the moon!) I found a short poem to offer you as prayer response to your reflection:

    I enter the stillness of the night to wait for you
    I'm resolved to let you live fully in my heart!
    Hour pass. The snow begins, soft, silent, slowly falling...
    I in the stillness watching, in silence waiting.
    I did not know how perfect love will blossom
    in our world, or when..
    (MS)

    Love,

    NR

    ReplyDelete