Friday, August 28, 2009

To Rumi & Beyond

My spiritual journey began seriously in 2003 when I met my anam cara, loving spirit friend, and we exchanged daily poems, scriptures, gospel and conversation. Like Rumi had Shams of Tabriz, I had my friend and we were immersed in the seeking, the questioning, the defining what cannot be defined. In 2005, we engaged in a month long study of Rumi poems. I was familiar with Rumi as a love poet, and not even knowing that his companion was a man, I relished in the daring sensuality of his words. Through that study, I came to realize that Rumi’s love of Shams was the human manifestation of his love for God and God’s love for all of us. His poems were love letters to God. I finally found my way in to the Bible and a framing for my relationship with God.

About that same time, I started studying with Marcus and Marianne Borg at the Center for Spiritual Development in Portland (http://www.center-for-spiritual-development.org/). The Borg’s lead an annual pilgrimage to Turkey to follow the journey of the Apostle Paul. Rumi was from Turkey and something clicked with me that this was a pilgrimage I needed to join. For four years I was either on the waiting list, didn’t have the money, or the trip was cancelled. Finally, I am on the list to go this next May (my 50th birthday) and even though I don’t have the money, I’m going. In preparation for this trip I’m re-reading as many Rumi and Shams poems as I can. I begin, of course, with The Essential Rumi with translations by Coleman Barks. Rumi suggests that the journey to God and self begins in the taverns (even though the drunkenness of spirit begins in “God’s Tavern”).

"All day I think about it, then at night I say it.
Where did I come from, and what am I supposed to be doing?
I have no idea.
My soul is from elsewhere, I'm sure of that,
and I intend to end up there.

This drunkenness began in some other tavern.
When I get back around to that place,
I'll be completely sober. Meanwhile,
I'm like a bird from another continent, sitting in this aviary.
The day is coming when I fly off,
but who is it now in my ear, who hears my voice?
Who says words with my mouth?

Who looks out with my eyes? What is soul?
I cannot stop asking.
If I could taste one sip of an answer,
I could break out of this prison for drunks.
I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.
Whoever brought me here will have to take me home!

This poetry. I never know what I’m going to say.
I don’t plan it.
When I’m outside the saying of it,
I get very quiet and rarely speak at all."

--Mevlana Jalaluddin Rumi translated by Coleman Barks


I have had my time in the bars, I have had my time in the dark scream of depression, I have had my time uninhibited and numb, I have asked the questions there, in the narrow darkness and now I ask, “Why do you stay in prison/when the door is so wide open?/Move outside the tangle of fear-thinking. /Live in silence./Flow down and down in always/widening rings of being.”

In the spirit of the movie, “Julie & Julia” I am blogging myself through Rumi again with my own poetic responses. Your responses are also appreciated. This poem follows the Rumi form of a quatrain (four line stanza)

Look,

I am looking for one
who can endure me...
Sadly, I must acknowledge
you are not the one.

I am looking for one
who will step out
from dark bars
and drunken passions

where grapes split
and ooze and merge
with other similar grapes
settled in sealed vats.

I am looking for one
who will cross thresholds,
squint in light and seek
alongside but not in me ~

one who knows union,
comm-union without
fear. One who will
hold in a gaze of silence

until dusk and truth
emerge like cognac
passed bitter and burning
between our lips.

I am looking for ilm~
divine, luminous, wisdom,
an ocean expansion
with “widening rings of being.”

1 comment:

  1. I haven't checked your blog in ages. What a nice surprise to find so much new content. I am so happy for you that you are finally making your journey to Turkey and and how wonderful that you are using this time to work through Rumi. I need to find such a project. You always manage to inspire me (thank you!).

    ReplyDelete