Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Shadow self

I am reading A Hidden Wholeness by Parker Palmer. "I deny my inner darkness, giving it more power over me, or I project it onto other people, creating "enemies" where none exist." I'm really struggling with that right now...not projecting my darkness on to others. I dreamt that someone, a friend, and I were on a trip in France, having a great time until I said, "Oh, what time does my flight leave?" and the friend said, "You have to be at the airport in 15 min." I went into a panic trying to pack my bags in the tidy, organized fashion I was accustomed to while the "friend" sat off in the shadows laughing at my panic and compulsions and I got angrier and angrier that she wasn't helping me get my baggage in order.

Well, if everyone in our dreams is a representation of self...then I am must really be pissed at my shadow self for not helping me get my baggage together, to help me get home. It is not my friends' responsibility to help me clean up my act, carry my baggage, or even keep track of time for me. Need to find a way to stop that sabotaging shadow self keep seducing me away from self care.

Any suggestions anyone?

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:55 PM

    I would suggest you embrace your shadow self instead of fighting it. Shadows could offer us important information and important lessons about our needs, our real deep longings, and it can also show wounds in us that are in need of healing. I love Parker Palmer, he teaches us how integrity and wholeness invites us to have courage to embrace all of who we are, including our shadow self.

    Keep nurture what heals, what inspires you, energizes you, what is life giving to you. I am always here as your witness and companion in the journey.

    The Bear goddess in Denver.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe you didn't need to haul your baggage around. Maybe it was time to let it go.

    ReplyDelete