Thursday, December 19, 2013

Solstice

Winter Solstice

On this, the longest night, 
I nearly utter, "Not yet, too soon, not now.” 
I'm not ready for the apocalypse of light, 
that asteroid of fire and life, 
to hurtle into my fine-grained silence 
to crystallize these course-grained words too soon.  
I haven't used up my dark days 
as well as I know I could.  
I haven't gone deep enough 
into wells of memory 
shadows, stones and core.  
I made friends with darkness, 
once I finally acceded 
to its purpose in my life,
once I learned to sink in - 
whether as a yield to accommodating sand 
or hard winter ground - I now allow gravity,
my weighty grave, the absence of light,
and I give in, give up to the depth, 
my spine relieved in darkness, 
packed in layers upon layers 
of self, sedimentary and cold.  
Once I discovered the value of humus, 
steamy black compost, 
how it feeds and readies me, 
I became fond of the smell of darkness
like the horse barns of my youth
piss and sweat 
leather and harvested grain. 
I no longer need to quilt darkness 
with the eternal promise
and anticipation of light. 
I like darkness as it is - 
coal, carboniferous rock, 
the furnaced compression 
of all that once lived.


No comments:

Post a Comment