Monday, September 25, 2006

Geography of Love

Ephesians 3:14 encourages us to explore the expansiveness of God's love, the breadth, the height, the length, and the depth, both overflowing and rooted, ours for the receiving. Because I try not to personify God, I do not imagine a being expressing his or her love in a tangible, sensory way that I can see, hear, smell, taste, or touch. I can, however, notice the manifestation of that love in the landscape of my every day living:

Breadth of autumnal sunshine
and the five year old
neighbor boy's call
to come out
and play ball.

Towering circle of cedar ~
there is no ceiling
to Your love.

Moonlight and shadow ~
oh the length of You
arched long along
my living room floor,
arms open in a transept
of receptivity.

Even in the darkest depths
a porch light shines
somewhere
here or there
guiding me home.

No comments:

Post a Comment