Monday, September 17, 2007

On Writing

"The goal of writing is to keep a beleaguered line of understanding which has movement from breaking down and becoming a hole into which we sink decoratively to rest."
~ William Carlos Williams
Where Does the Poetry Come From?
On a Sunday morning
after coffee in bed
and a book
and a word like mellifluous
tickles my ears and tongue.
I do not know this word,
this mystery,
so I explore the dictionary
then think of honey
and remember
those Bit-O-Honey candy bars
that we kids bought with dimes
from the general store at Balsam Lake.
I remember
those northern lakes
many years later
when I went skinny-dipping with a lover
I think of bitter honey
and I write it down.
Honey

Mellifluous memories
harden like taffy candy
Cracked on the sidewalk
Bit ‘o Honey
Shattered bit ‘o love

Tongue the edge
hot lick saliva
Seal you back
soften in my belly hold
Barely

Lurid butter-yellow pieces
trapped in paper folds
Wrapper cracks
and barely holds

I long for the wholeness
that never was
But you were bought, already
already
broken

No comments:

Post a Comment